Tuesday, 18 June 2013

More spring stuff.

Writing this to some old classics, House of the the Rising Sun by the Animals at the moment. Hottest day of the year so far, have actually comfortably sat out in the garden this evening for the first time. The bees are working hard and I have spotted a honey bee, prior to this I have only seen the bumble bee type. Earlier this year I dumped a one tonne plastic sack containing some pieces of plastic and cardboard on top of some debris that I was going to take down to the tip, when I came to shift it I discovered it was full of bumble bees and in respect to them I am going to leave it until they decide to clear off, plus I am a coward and wake up in a sweat believing I am going to be attacked if I don't leave them alone.

Lamium orvala

 
Lamium orvala  unlike most of the genus of Lamium, grows to around 2' and does not spread, it has buff flowers, also, unlike other dead nettles, the slugs seem to love it.

 Lamium maculatum 'White Nancy' 
More typically Lamium maculatum 'White Nancy' is a creeping perennial which is much loved by bees (even got one to pose). Used for winter baskets as it is a very resilient plant.

Lamium galeobdolon 'Hermann’s Pride' - Yellow flowers.
Lamium galeobdolon 'Hermann’s Pride' is more upright but still of a spreading habit.


Primula yuparensis
Farinosae primula, a sub-species of Primula modesta, very distinctive long calyx as of Primula modesta.

Primula modesta

Unknown aquilegia.
Slightly out of focus, but this is what gardening is all about when a plant like this appears as a seedling in a random container.

Signing off with the Roling Stones, which proves that you can love plants and rock music.

2 comments:

  1. Those are some lovely pictures, Love looking through at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, please visit again.

    ReplyDelete