Monday, 12 May 2014

A couple of Erythroniums

It is pouring down with rain so I am adding this little post. Much has been said in the media recently about Erythroniums, I do not have drifts of them but find the individual flowers stunning.

Erythronium californicum 'Harvington Snowgoose'
'Snowgoose' was the first one I ever grew and is still my favourite even up against the ubiquitous Erythronium 'Pagoda'. Picture taken a couple of weeks ago.


Erythronium 'Pagoda'
These pictures were actually taken last year but show some variation in type.

6 comments:

  1. They are beautiful, but taking photos of them seem to involve the same back-breaking, knee-hurting, hip endangering exercises as taking photos of hellebores does! I have a camera with a so-called swivel screen and that helps a lot, I still would prefer the plants to be flowering at waist height and upwards :-)
    But seriously, they are beautiful, I’ll try to find a space for a few of them in the autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helene, I am not as flexible as I used to be so I exploit the benefit of digital photography in that I can get down as far as possible and then 'point and shoot' until I get a result.

      Delete
  2. Yes, beautiful! And I agree with Helene. It's getting more and more difficult for me to twist and turn to get those under-the-flower shots, but those are some of the most beautiful blooms. Harvington Snowgoose, and the way you photographed it, amazes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it IS amazing just how beautiful and even exotic that some individual blooms can be. Along with my reply to Helene if I relied on film these shots would not be possible other than at great expense.

      Delete
  3. They may not be the amazing drifts we've seen on TV lately Rick, but you've a super wee collection nonetheless. I keep forgetting to add these little beauties to the garden. I'll be needing to tattoo a reminder on my forehead soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, I do think they are something special.

      Delete