Thursday, 8 May 2014

Tulip Time again.

Back to the wet weather again so not as busy in the garden. My one major gardening indulgence is that I buy in tulips every year, I don't do this to any scheme or colour coordination and to be quite honest probably go for bargain collections although not exclusively. I have my favourites like Tulipa 'Angelique' which I grow every year, also picked out on "Beechgrove Garden" this week, but on the whole I just grow what I fancy and treat them as annuals, growing in containers and discarding after flowering.

Tulipa 'Angelique' (Double Late)
'Angelique' is a firm favourite....


Tulip 'Double Flag' (Double Late)
....and I like 'Double Flag' also.

Tulip 'Estella Rijnveld' (Parrot)
Always have one parrot like 'Estella Rijnveld'.

Tulip 'Grand Perfection' (Triumph)
'Grand Perfection' isn't bad.....

Tulip 'Happy Generation' (Triumph)
.....as is 'Happy Generation'.

Tulip 'Havran' (Triumph)
Much darker in real life 'Havran' has a wonderful velvet sheen to it.

Tulip 'Leen van der Mark' (Triumph)
'Leen van der Mark' big and blowsy like the 'Carnaval de Rio', that I grew last year. I love these big strong growing tulips, the way the petals expand is fascinating.

Tulip 'Princess Irene' ('Prinses Irene') (Triumph)
A new favourite 'Princess Irene', neat, deep orange and scented to boot.

Tulip 'Rajka' (Triumph)
Not one I will use again 'Rajka'.

Tulip 'Silk Road' (Single early)
'Silk Road' has a lovely silky sheen as its name implies.
Tulip 'Washington' (Triumph)
'Washington' is nice but nothing special.

Now here is a really stupid thing to do. A couple of weeks ago on a windy day which was also promising rain I decided to lash on some Growmore, everything went perfectly, on with the fertilizer and only an hour or so later a really heavy shower. Job well done, or so I thought. A few days later whilst strolling round the garden with mug of tea in hand. What's this! the leaves of some of my plants were browning! It took me a while for it to register but the damage, mainly to soft leaved plants like hardy geraniums, was on the side from which I had been scattering the fertilizer which, on the day, would also have been the windward side. Yes you have guessed it, as I was scooping the pellets out the dust had blown onto the plants and subsequently scorched them. Idiot! 

2 comments:

  1. I've mistaken your double tulips for peonies :) I've never seen such tulips! Especially my favourite is Estella Rijnveld - I wish I had these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are sometimes referred to as Peony Tulips so I can understand why.

      Delete