Monday, 13 June 2016

June garden snippets.

After two weeks of really good weather and getting plenty done we have just had some horrendous rain over the weekend and the week ahead is looking rather wet so I am afraid it is back to normal. The hanging baskets and most of the containers have been planted up so it's fingers-crossed that we have a decent summer.


General view from the back door, I show Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Mariesii' pictures every year but it is a superb shrub.
Cornus kousa just poking over the Viburnum, a classic example of where not to plant a showy tree!

Meconopsis x sarsonsii is the latest to come into flower.
This is actually the water forget-me-not, Myosotis scorpioides which is a British native. I planted this as an experiment at the edge of one of my main borders to see if the ground was wet enough for it to survive, needless to say it is thriving!

Paeonia - single red type, cultivar unknown.

Unknown paeony. The big question is do you prefer the simplicity of the single bloom or this cultivar which has made itself at home on top of a little wall beneath a privet hedge and has been visibly wilting in the hot weather. Personally I go for the simple flower every time.

Rather a nice colour of foxglove in front of the Viburnum, it is self seeded and is showing more than a few characteristics of Pam's Choice which was growing nearby.

The combination of foxgloves and Hesperis works well in the deep shade cast by my Cedrus atlantica glauca. It did look better but the Hesperis was nearly flattened by the heavy rain.

Primula secundiflora, one of the survivors from last year's seed, a Section Sikkimensis primula from Yunnan. This plant is very young and has not reached its full potential.

Nomocharis pardanthina f. punctulata. N.pardanthina was discovered by Delavay who coincidently also found Primula secundiflora (above). This beautiful bulb was raised from seed and to have several in flower this year is very satisfying. It needs conditions very like Meconopsis so grows well in the cool damp of Scotland and my garden for which I am thankful. Will not tolerate dry conditions.

Now for the big experiment, I have been thinking about making a video for ages but decided to actually do it. This meander round my back garden is very basic, in fact this is my first attempt ever, so please bear with me, it is definitely a bit all over the place, although YouTube's enhancing software worked wonders. The bad news for you all is that I really enjoyed making it so there could be more in the future.


    Please enjoy if you can, the music is part of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto - Wm. Mccoll & the University of Washington Symphony. This is in HD best viewed in full screen.

14 comments:

  1. It certainly look very lush, both in the pictures and the video. Congratulations for all the difficult plants you have raised from seed.
    Here the summer has been good to gardens so far (although today humans were complaining that 20 degrees was too cold for June. We are used to higher temperature for this time of the year.
    I only wish I could grow foxgloves through Hesperis matronalis. Somehow, the regular foxgloves do not seem to like eastern North America, even if there are a few gardens that are the exception to the rule. Mine is not one of them.
    Good choice of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alain, maybe the foxgloves prefer a more acid soil? I don't really know. We are currently experiencing 10°C fluctuations although overall things are at last heating up.

      Delete
  2. Great video! I am terribly jealous of your Meconopsis. And Nomocharis is entirely new to me, but quite charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jason, by the same token I am sure that there are many plants that you can grow which I am unable to do successfully.

      Delete
  3. Hey Rick, that is brilliant, very steady, not shaky like my attempt which wasn't fit to publish. Love your garden, give us a talk over next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alistair, thank you very much for your encouragement, I have to admit that YouTube's software did stabilise things massively! I have toyed with the idea of a voice over but I am sure that Mozart does it better than I can hope to do.

      Delete
  4. Have just discovered your blog via Angie at My Garden Diaries... Thanks for the wonderful tour; your garden looks beautifully lush and cool! It's always exciting to see the various Meconopsis, and I'd not heard before of Nomocharis - fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, thanks for dropping in. I haven't had chance to really have a good look at your blog but have added it to my list so I can view it in the future. Please keep coming back, as my site, from what I have read so far of yours, seems to have the complete opposite conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual I admire your meconopsis, but this time it is with an added interest – I have just been given a Meconopsis seedling from someone in a swap! I know I am a long way from having succeeded with it, but considering the cold, wet weather we have had for ages and still seem to be getting, maybe the seedling at least will be happy enough to grow up so it can survive the winter and come back next year. Fingers crossed!
    Loved your N.pardanthina, never heard of it before – if I could get Meconopsis to grow here then this might be the next challenge? I do love a challenge, but it’s all about what kind of summer we have – which sadly is not up to me.
    How fun you have made a garden video! Thanks for showing off your garden, and what a great first attempt, you should be proud of that. I have been filming my garden for a number of years and I must admit I am too shaky to hold the camcorder myself so I invested in a good tripod years ago. The tripod does everything I want it to do for both camera and camcorder and it is tall enough for me so I don’t have to stoop. That means I don’t have to use YouTube’s ‘shaky video’ feature which I have tried but found really strange at times.
    Good luck with your next video :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helene, I have to say that you were my inspiration, I remember some time ago threatening to try to make a video myself when commenting on your blog! I have a tripod but will get round to be more professional:-)

      Delete
  7. Some gorgeous blooms there - the Myconopsis takes the prize, but I also love the Myosotis and Peonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like paeonies Jason, but Meconopsis are my real love, that blue is seldom seen in the plant world.

      Delete
  8. hope your mum's recovered, video enables really good look at your garden and I enjoyed the music too. All the best for 2017, Rick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, all the best to you, Mum is now in a nursing home unfortunately so we are hoping for a better 2017 as 2016 wasn't great.

      Delete